My reflection blog this
week is to reflect on Northouse (2015) identification that leadership is a
process and leaders affect and are affected by their followers. Leadership is a
process that involves influence. I will use this reflection blog to reflect on
a leader who I have worked for, who I was able to influence and in return influenced
me as a leader. The relationship development between myself and this leader was
a two-way street.
Leaders Influence
According to Peter
Northouse “Leadership is a process whereby an individual influences a group of
individuals to achieve a common goal.” (p6) Additionally, successful leaders
and followers “build relationships” to reach those common goals. From my
personal perspective, a leader is a person who can establish relationships to
influence by being accountable, trustworthy, and except feedback. Leaders have
to be able to make decisions even when it is not a comfortable thing to do. Additionally, a leader and follower success
depends on the positive bond in their relationships. A leader needs a team to
lead, and followers need a leader. (Northouse,
2016)
Over the last twenty years,
I have experienced good and bad leaders. I have experienced leaders who were concerned
with my success and some that just cared about their personal gain within the
company, which usually allows the leader to trample over people in their path
of destruction. In this blog, I will reflect on a leader who was affected by
the followers. I will also reflect on being the follower who was affected this
leader.
The Leader
The
leader is a senior manager of an aircraft sustainment program, who excepted a
role as a program manager over the earned value management process. The process
includes managing cost, schedule, and technical integration of the program.
This leader was known for his aggressive approach in dealing with people, which
came across as a bully. The program was responsible for reporting performance
metrics to executive leadership and the customer. The program manager expected presenters
to be exemplary and perfect. There were event dry runs of the presentations
prior to the reviews. Although there were several dry runs with the leader, the
leader would ask questions in a way that would embarrass the presenters. The
affect this leader had on his followers was very negative and most employees
disliked this leader. The leaders’ behavior created animosity and distrust
within the team.
As
a new leader supporting a team of twenty retrofit engineers, I was able to
witness this leaders’ actions, which made me furious, but at the same time gave
me a challenge to change this behavior toward my teammates. During a review, I had
a retrofit engineer who was older and was not very savvy at presenting
information in front of large groups and stumbled over a question from the program
manager. I gave the engineer a few minutes to try to answer the question. The
leader looked at me and I gave him the answer. The leader, in front of
everyone, alluded to say that this was the information he was looking for, with
sarcasm. I agree with him, and asked that we move on since the data was
provided, but my tone was no stern. My response shocked the leader, customer,
and my team. I was determined to not let this leader be abrasive to me or
define me as a leader. He demonstrated the type of leadership approach that I do
not prefer. A leaders “behavior affects
the attitudes and actions of the followers” and by not allowing the leaders
bully behavior to occur in another meeting, I gained the trust and respect from
those on my team. (Gottschalk, 2016)
The follower
As
a follower, I encountered another rough interaction with this same leader. I was
responsible for a very complex project that I inherited from another employee
who left the program. The project had some issues that I was having a hard time
understanding and providing a corrective action. On one particular day, I spent
a couple of hours in email communication with the leader. I felt the information relayed was clear and
to the point. The leader was having issues understanding what I was trying to
deliver in the communication. After a few hours of emails going back and forth
and not gaining any ground on getting help, I asked the leader for an in person
meeting. In this meeting, I proceeded to go over all the information that was
previously sent to him via email. I remembered in the past that he mentioned to
me that hope was not a strategy, so I knew I was stuck without a resolution. He
stopped me about half way through my regurgitation of information and
identified that I just needed to say “I need your help.” I had the same fears as my followers did
because I wanted to appear to be prepared, having all the answers. I didn’t
want to ask for his help, I just wanted him to approve my ideas. I judged the
leader based on his previous performance. Once I relaxed and listened to what
he was saying, I gained the help I needed. Our relationship started with
animosity based on other people’s interactions. The trust was not yet defined
in our relationship. (Rath &
Conchie, 2009)
Two-Way
Street
In
the two examples of my personal interaction with this leader it is clear a
relationship was not established from the beginning. The leadership process
requires leaders and followers.
In an organization,
leaders “build relationships, influence others and make things happen, while followers
require trust and stability.” (Rath & Conchie, 2009) Based on the
interaction history with the leader there was a perception that he could not be
trusted to create stability in the workplace.
After
I had the interaction with the leader as a follower, the leader asked me
directly why everyone is so tense when he is around. I took the opportunity to
explain that his aggressive behavior towards people in meetings makes people
feel they are being bullied. I took a big risk relaying this information to the
leader, but it was my opportunity to allow him to understand his individual
impact on morale, confidence, and respect. Employees did not trust that he
would not go off on them in front of their peers or the customer. This leader
broke down in silence and relayed to me directly that the feedback hurts and he
was not aware that he was perceived as a bad leader. He asked what he could do
to change the dial on the perception of those around him. He also felt that he
was honestly helping those perform better by pushing them to achieve higher
standards.
The
leader held some team working meetings, where he applied more listening skills
verses talking. He provided some monetary incentives to employees who had been
doing extremely well. The leader also came out of his office more to just talk
to people. He wanted to know more about their families, hobbies, and let them
know if they needed help, his office door was always opened. Over a few months,
I overheard my team talking about how this leader has changed, even suggesting
to other people to go to this leader if they needed help. I finally started to
see the relationships rebuild and trust being restored.
Conclusion
The leader I worked for was
influenced by my ability to be honest with him about how his interaction with
the team was not positive. This leader influenced me in teaching me what not do
do as a leader, but most importantly have the confidence to provide feedback
and ask for help when it is needed. The relationship building is a two-way
street as it requires leaders and followers.
With the leaders change in behavior due to my
direct honest, I gained respect not only from my team, but the leader as well. Two
years ago when I left the program, the leader came to my going away party. This
was a shock to some but it was not to me as we had built a positive
relationship.
References
Gottschalk,
M. (2016). How a Leader’s Behavior Affects Team Members. Retrieved August 13,
2016,
from Swift And Shift: http://switchandshift.com/how-a-leaders-behavior-affects-team-members
Northouse,
P. G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and Practice (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA:
Sage
Publication.
Rath,
T., & Conchie, B. (2009, January 8). What Followers Want From Leaders.
Retrieved August
13,
2016, from Business Journal: http://www.gallup.com/businessjournal/113542/what-
followers-want-from-leaders.aspx
No comments:
Post a Comment